Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Not the Summer I Had Planned Part 2


 

Since our summer had already veered off course, we added a trip to Calgary for July. Wayne and his brothers had decided that we would all start making more of an effort to go to Fran instead of her always coming to us. Travel has been getting more stressful for her and was taking a toll on her. If Wayne and I were going to go together, it had to be before I went back to school the beginning of August. So we booked the tickets for July during the only consecutive days not previously planned with something already. We also booked an overnight stay in July with friends from high school at their lake home in Texas.  We had recently reconnected with them and were surprised to find us all living in the Lone Star state! Our calendar was filling up fast! 


We weren’t even halfway in to June! 


I had my webinar on the 11th and was already planning for an October one.


Then came two weeks of camp at nearby Camp Shiloh. Wayne did the opening service for both Teen and Youth Camp. I volunteered when needed in the cafeteria. Zanna lifeguarded. But the uncertainty of our future was hanging over my head. More people were asking us about it. I knew Wayne was becoming more convinced to go and I just wanted everything to go back to normal. Normal is predictable. Predictable is comfortable. I like to be comfortable. 











I was throughly enjoying our ladies Bible study on the book of Ruth. Like last summer, we met at local coffee shops and enjoyed studying God’s word out in the community. 







We celebrated my birthday on the 22nd. June rolled into July and we celebrated our anniversary and the 4th of July. By then I knew that everything we did was probably going to be our last. One neighbor couple hosted their annual nothing can beat 4th of July bash complete with food and drink truck, grab bags, live band, and Instagram worthy pool and lake views. Later that evening as we sat on another neighbor’s boathouse and watched as another neighbor hosted the most fantastic fireworks show reflected over the shimmering waters of the lake we’ve looked at from our window for the last 8 years, I was sad. Mad. And overwhelmed. 















Now that we’re on the other side of that decision, I go back to try to work out why I’ve been so resistant. I’m grew up moving around. My mom always modeled and set the tone that this was an adventure! The idea of moving isn’t the issue. I’ve never had the luxury of knowing a place “that I’m from” because I’m not honestly from anywhere! I’ve never lived in the same town as my family and my kids will most likely not live by us either. I don’t have that expectation. 


No, this was coming from someplace different. We were in Canada for 16 years. Way longer than I thought we’d ever be there! So it seemed more natural when it finally came time to leave, although gut wrenching because we had been there for so long. We’ve only been in Texas for 8 years so it can’t be time yet? And maybe that’s the shock I wasn’t prepared for. God’s timing. This may not have been the summer I had planned but it’s the summer He had planned all along. 




Right after the 4th of July weekend, we left for Calgary. It was good to be back in Canada, back in the familiar of Wayne’s childhood home - something I’ve never had. We visited with family and friends every day, enjoyed some favorite food spots, and managed to fit in an afternoon in Canmore with the view of majestic mountains. 










We came home and Wayne officially announced his acceptance to Colorado that Sunday. 


It was time to get excited! But first …


I called my principal to tell her I wouldn’t be coming back. I know I’m just a cog in a machine that can easily be replaced but this one hurt. I had gotten attached to the kids and I didn’t get closure. I hadn’t had a chance to say goodbye.  I had told them in May, “See you in August!!”  I went back to school a few times to collect my things I thought I'd be coming back to. 


I sent a group text to the neighborhood of people we had become so close to and announced our impending move. I immediately received messages back of surprise and we’ll miss you. 


I cancelled the October webinar I had been planning for because that was not going to happen as much as I’d like to make it happen. We’ll shoot for the new year! 


First on our to do list was to find a realtor and get the house on the market. The house I’ve felt so blessed to live in and enjoy. All the memories made. All the dog hair. Oh, wait. That comes with us. The market stinks right now - super slow. Not great timing. 


Timing - again? But with God, all things are possible. 

No comments: